Monday, September 29, 2014

sunny days and fall tv

After studying for what was deemed "the hardest exam in medical school" by multiple M4s , I've finally recovered and can crawl out of the hole that I've been hiding in and can think a little about a new blog post. 

The head and neck was not the most enjoyable thing on the planet to study. It might have been, in fact it could have been, if we were given more than a day to master each new area. Well, we were pushed to do what I would have thought was impossible, learn everything that quickly, but we did, and it's done, and we are already studying the lungs. To me, on those overwhelming days, anatomy feels like I'm on a train that I couldn't get off of even if I wanted to because it's moving so fast that I'd fall to my death if I jumped. But on days like today, only one lecture in for the next unit, I took a two hour nap and made spaghetti carbonara and I feel great . 

I went back to Fairbury to see my parents and grandma (and minnie) for the first time in months Friday after the exam. When I was talking to my mom I realized, wow, I've learned SO MUCH since the last time that you've seen me. Looking back at the last five weeks it's incredible to see how much I've learned in such a short amount of time. 

Saturday Jake and I took it easy catching up on our favorite TV shows that returned last week, went on a very long walk around Lake Zorinsky, and traded our summer clothes for fall/winter clothes in the closet. 

Because I was teary - eyed over multiple season premieres last week, the next thing I'm going to do is share some of my favorite dramas for this fall. (No major spoilers)

1. How to Get Away With Murder

(picture from here)

Thursdays 9:00 CST ABC

This pilot episode killed it in its premiere, well, literally. I don't think I've ever watched a pilot episode of a TV show that raised so many questions (besides Lost, but I'm still "lost" on where that show was going). The amazing Shonda Rhimes created Scandal and Grey's and she is a producer on this show. The show has just as much action and emotion as Scandal, and it makes you think about what you would do in the gray areas of ethics. The show immediately opens with students hiding a body, throughout the show you get more clues as to who, what, when, where, and why. You learn the students are taking an introduction criminology class with Dr. Keating who is tough as nails and she will do anything to win cases for her defendents, even when they are guilty. The show more than meets my expectations, and will definitely be one that's on the DVR each week. If you don't believe me, watch this one episode and you'll be hooked - at least for a few more! 

2. Scandal

(picture from here)

Thursdays 8:00 CST ABC

Where in the world is Olivia Pope? Many people are unsure if this show is for them. I'm not that interested in politics but this was definitely my favorite show of all time last season. In Scandal, political drama is anything but boring and it encompasses everything from top secret CIA missions that murder many (even those close to the President) , to feuds between lovers. Olivia Pope had a team of great associates (each one messed up in their own way - Olivia had "saved" them in the past), and these associated could solve any public Scandal. Last season Olivia left us not knowing what was going to happen, and the premiere is looking good for this new season. I started watching this show on an assignment from a college class I was taking, and I was hooked. Kerry Washington is gorgeous, intelligent, and amazing. Ask Scandal's newest fan if you have any doubts - Anna! 

3. Nashville

(picture from here)

Wednesdays 9:00 CST ABC

Bring the tissues for this tough season premiere, really pulled at the heart strings. Rayna has to make her choice between Deacon and Luke and it was incredibly heart wrenching to watch the interactions while she decided. Meanwhile, Juliette is as messed up as ever, but I was so sad for her because it appears as if she lost something she actually really cares about and she's genuinely sorry and heartbroken but it doesn't seem to matter. Teddy is growing on the audience again, and Scarlett has made up her mind about whether or not she's leaving Nashville for good. Plus, Connie Britton is fantastic (Coach Taylor must be the only man for her), and Hayden is great too!

4. Grey's Anatomy


(picture from here)

Thursdays 7:00 CST ABC

This #4 pick completes the "TGIT" Shonda Rhimes trifecta on Thursday nights (#1 and #2). Grey's Anatomy was the only show I watched in high school, and I've been keeping up with it ever since. In fact, I don't ever think there will be a time where the storyline possibilities could end - they are on Season 11! ton of exciting new drama introduced right away in the premiere, but it's always good to see the familiar faces of Mer, Der, Alex, Callie, Bailey, Arizona, Hunt, Richard, and those other new people. 
 Especially since they just brought in new interns last season (or the season before?) with messy lives that they can explore. I can't say there's a

5. Bones


(picture from here - this picture doesn't best describe the show, but I love when they are all happy, which is not frequent)

Thursdays 7:00 CST FOX

Although it was "Bones" that helped me choose my major in college (Anthropology). I stopped watching the show last year because it was getting boring, and then since I had so much time this weekend I picked up right at the new season's premiere. What a mistake. Bring your kleenexes, they lost someone precious. I need to catch up on this because it involves some sort of conspiracy theory within the FBI that leads to the murder of the loved one, and I'd really like to know more. (maybe over Christmas break I'll have time?)

6. Castle

(picture from here)

Mondays ABC 9:00 CST

I teared up at the finale of Castle last season, poor Becket on her wedding day. Where is Richard Castle? This show has almost gone on long enough I thought too, but we'll see if the new season brings anything new and exciting (a baby?) . (Spoiler - They have to find Castle first, he's MIA). 

Clearly, I may struggle watching all of these but I will be doing the best I can ;) . I've heard another good drama is Blacklist on NBC for those interested - haven't made it to that one yet. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished