Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Skull Halloween Cake

Last week for Mom/Dot reveal in Gamma Phi I gave my great-granddots a skull cake. 
I thought this was a clever idea for a few reasons: 

1. I'm an anthropologist - I study skulls and the evolution of skulls
2. I'm also pre-med - I memorize each bump of the skull
3. They are pre-medicine or pre-health 
4. It was Halloween
5. The pan was on major sale - and it is awesome.

I decided upon red velvet cake - to make it "bloody" of course. I used cream cheese frosting to stick the two pieces together.









Like with any new project that I do, I consulted the internet for advice on what others have done with this pan. Decorating it with buttercream frosting seemed to messy for such an intricate mold. I felt like it would turn out sloppy - like this one. 



I saw this, and immediately wanted to replicate it, but we can't bring that large of knives into the Gamma Phi living room, and I would have had to special order the sparkly stones.


I'm not really a fondant person, so I ruled out that option. Then I found this website (http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/how-to-decorate-a-skull-cakes/) that describes how to decorate skull cakes. I tried the glaze on my practice cake but it was way to messy, and I probably could have made it work but I decided to just do a powdered sugar finish, ideally like this one.




Then I ran into the problem of the cakes sliding a part. Since I had to travel with two cakes, I decided to just make the top half for the girls and put frosting on the bottom layer for extra sweetness.

In the end, I didn't get it as professionally done as the photo above, but it turned out okay and it was a fun way to celebrate the holiday and dot week. They both enjoyed it!





No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished