Monday, June 22, 2015

what to watch on netflix

I sometimes find it hard to make a decision and select a new show to watch on Netflix, so if anyone else has trouble choosing what will be worth their time watching, I put together a list of a few of our favorite series and a few movies that I've watched recently. Jake and I have watched these over the course of the past few years and loved them. 

1. Friends 
I hold this show very close to my heart. I was maybe ten years late to join the Friends fan club, but the nights during the months I spent alone this past year I kept my sanity because I had this show to watch and laugh at during after those long days of studying.



2. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt 
You may not have heard of this one yet. It's the newest one I'm mentioning in my list. Kimmy is rescued from a cult and starts life over in New York City. She reminds me of Amelia Bedelia, and this show has me laughing so hard every episode. I've watched every episode twice and still found new jokes that I didn't notice the first time through. It's created by Tina Fey.



3. Modern Family 
If you've missed any of these episodes when they aired on ABC, you can get every episode here. 



4. The Blacklist

This show's creator is from Nebraska (he still calls Kearney home), and it's a thrilling show. The plot is fast-paced so it's easy to binge watch, and they don't make you wait long for new important details to be revealed.  One of the world's most wanted men turns himself into the FBI and makes a deal with them, but you quickly see he has his own agenda that's unfolded with each episode. 



6. Dexter

I never thought I'd empathize with a serial killer, but last summer Jake and I were absolutely addicted to this thrilling show. Dexter is a part of the forensic unit for the police department, he's an "average guy", but he's also a killer. This is one of my all-time favorite shows. A Kearney High School grad writes for the show. They even have an episode where they visit Kearney, and it's absolutely stereotypical Nebraska, but still. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read the book series this was based off of.



*I swear I saw the actor who plays the trinity killer at the Chicago airport last week. I shamefully followed him and stared for a few minutes then he walked up to us and stood creepily right in front of our dinner table to watch the NBA finals game above us. Meanwhile, I had to hide my iphone because I had pulled up his face on it for comparison. I will never forgive him for what he did in the Season 4 finale. :)  

7. Scandal

If you haven't got on board with Scandal yet, then it's your own loss. The amount of corruption, spy missions, and love triangles going on in this white house is so fun to watch. Olivia Pope can solve any problem and any scandal that arises in Washington. I studied this show in college (I was forced to watch it as homework), and we also learned Olivia Pope was partly based on G.W.Bush's press aide who still helps with the show's production. 



8. Friday Night Lights

As you probably know, the  drama in this show surrounds a high school football team in Texas. The teens get in a lot of drama, and Coach Taylor of course is the ultimate mentor for them. I've mentioned this show many times on this blog, and it's not just for sports fans. Texas forever.



9. (Currently watching) Orange is the New Black 



Movies on Netflix that are worth watching:

1. Imitation Game 

This movie is a 2015 Oscar nominee for best picture about a mathematician who doesn't work well in a team attempting to break enigma code during  WWII.



2. United 93

This film recalls the story of United flight 93 that was hijacked during the terrorist attacks of September 11. This was made with input from families of passengers and those involved at command centers tracking the flight and the other planes that were hijacked. The movie attempts to show the true story based on recordings from the cockpit and conversations held with families on the airplane phones. In real time it shows the take off and duration of the flight. It also shows the people in command centers across the nation and their reactions to the planes that were going off course and the sounds they heard through radio. Based on the cockpit recording, it details how these brave and heroic every day citizens took control of that plane. I had goosebumps the entire time, I don't know if I could ever be that brave. 



3. Django Unchained

In this movie (two Oscar wins), a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) sets out to rescue his wife (Kerry Washington) from a plantation. It has extremely horrific moments (slavery punishment), but it has moments of comedy as well. Overall it's a great movie.



4. Blackfish

This documentary was very touching and sad, and you'll never want to visit Sea World again. It's a documentary that needs to be watched. It's very well made, and I had no idea what goes on just so that we can "oo and ahh" at these miraculous animals. The film has real video footage and real accounts from Sea World trainers and visitors. It was surreal to take it all in.  



No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished