Wednesday, June 17, 2015

summer reads: part 1

I have at least 12-15 books I plan to knock out this summer, and so I'm going to share with you some of them each week.


1. The Luckiest Girl Alive

If you enjoyed Gone Girl and Girl on the Train you'll love this one. I liked it better then The Girl on the Train (which for some reason is still on the NYT bestseller list). The book is written in a way that makes each scene really easy to visualize . The main character appears to have it all but a dark secret from her past haunts her and piece by piece it's all revealed.

2. The Glass Castle

This book (an oldie that you may have already read) was recommended to me a few weeks ago, and it's one of my favorite books I've ever read. The story of this woman's childhood is awful but it's told in such a positive way. I can see the love she has for her parents even when, as a reader, their lives seem tragic. I was in disbelief in every single chapter, everyone should read this book. 

3. Brain on Fire

Another true story, this one tells the story of a 24-year-old woman who goes "insane" very quickly for no apparent reason. At some points she was even mental hospital ready. Her story tells her complete neurological decline, those sad specifics, how she made such a remarkable recovery, and how her case has helped saved thousands. I liked this book because she includes real text from her medical records that doctors wrote, her neuro exam drawings, and she describes all of the medical terms in and events in easy language so anyone can understand. 

4. The Husband's Secret

I haven't read this one yet, but I wanted to include it anyway as part of my summer reads because this will be my next book. 




Follow me by e-mail to stay in touch with this summer reading series!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished