Monday, August 20, 2012

First Day

Wow two posts in one day! 

Today was the first day of junior year, and it was great so far. 

I began the day at 8:30 a.m. with my Social Structure (anthropology) course. We will mostly be studying marriage, kinship, gender, of our culture and other cultures. I think it will be interesting. My professor spent 10 years living with the Yanamamo people in Africa, they are like the "classic" culture people think of when they think of hunter-gatherer societies. He has some interesting stories.

Next I went to Physiology. My teacher seems super nice, she has all of the lectures as movies, sound files, and as powerpoint slides available online for us to study. Very organized.

Human Variation (anthropology) was right after that class, and we will be talking about, well basically how humans vary and why they do. For example today we had an impromptu discussion on why people of east africa are the best distance runners and the people of west africa the best sprinters...we discussed how the distance runners come from the highlands where there is little oxygen and people from around the world send their athletes to train there. Those athletes have biologically adapted their lungs to use less oxygen more efficiently, they also have to walk a lot because they are poor, generally speaking. We also talked about skin color and how Sudanese is the land with the most UV radiation and therefore they must have the darkest skin type of all so it will take much more time to burn (all skin burns). This class should be cool too.

After lunch I had History of Sports with Jake! This class will be great I am sure.

Finally, I had Human Growth and Development (anthropology). 

I think all of my classes will be fun topics to learn about, so I'm excited for that. I'm not to excited about the three research papers I will have to write, but on the opposite side of that none of those classes with research papers have exams. 

I only have classes Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, so tomorrow I have time for a break and studying! 

Enjoy the rest of the week.



AS


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished