Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Happy Columbus Day - Yeah Right

I'm one of those people that hates the classic elementary school song that teachers like my mom sing about yesterday's holiday:

"In 1492! In 1492! Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492!"

Or songs like this:

“Indians! Indians!” Columbus cried;
His heart was filled with joyful pride.
The Arakawa natives were very nice;
They gave the sailors food and spice.
Columbus sailed on to find some gold
To bring back home, as he’d been told.
The first American? No, not quite.
But Columbus was brave, and he was bright."

So when I heard my elementary school children talking about this nonsense in the before and after school program that I work at, I immediately shut them up about the "wonderful" Christopher Columbus.

One of my Facebook friends posted this link about reasons why we still are celebrating Columbus Day even though he wasn't the great man that we were taught about. Check it out at http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2013/10/10/simple-things-that-explain-why-not-celebrate-columbus-day/wb1J9u53TmXPUkp8rGMjSI/story.html .


I didn't make the following cartoons, and I don't necessarily agree with them all, but I thought they had an interesting perspective on this holiday as well:













No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished